Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's a Series of Children's Picture Books

In case you're wondering what my latest brainstorm innovation is. They're based upon the Suzy Lou stories I've been telling my kids at bedtime for years. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. There are like a hundred Suzy Lou Stories. Suzy Lou is a very... well I guess you'll have to wait and see.

I started with a list of 56 children's book publishers, then I narrowed it down to nine that I think should see the manuscript. Two of them will only deal with an agent. Some pay flat fees, some pay royalties only, and still others pay a combination of both. One doesn't accept simultaneous submissions. I need to brush up on how to send a manuscript- what my cover letter should look like... I know my market, I know my angle and I have some idea of how I want the illustrations but honestly, the character is so "easy to see" that I trust any good illustrator will give her a lovable face.

I need to see what the protocol is for finding an illustrator. Anyone know?

No comments: